Studying in Japan: What to Know

Seikei University (10)

Before we go through the requirements and things to do to study in Japan, let’s first discuss the things that you need to secure before applying to any Japanese Universities.

Aside from your passport, one thing that is required for sure is to have a transcript of records that shows your completion for 12 years of school education from your home country. You will also need to secure any proof of financial viability for your expenses while studying in Japan.

Another thing that you might want to do before applying for a Japanese university is to learn basic Japanese language skills. This is not a requirement, but it will be advantageous because the entrance examination for international students includes some basic Japanese language. Also, this will help you fortify your university application.

You should also make sure that you don’t have any immigration issues that may interfere with your entry to Japan.

Taking the Entrance Examination

Japanese Universities have a different entrance examination for foreign students. They need to complete the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU). The examination covers the Japanese language, Science, Mathematics, and Japan and the World. EJU is held biannually in Japan and in selected cities outside of Japan.

Applying for a Student Visa

Once you are accepted to a Japanese university, you will need to apply for a student visa to study in Japan. The process involves providing a copy of your passport, completing the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) form, and providing proof of financial viability to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your education and to live in Japan.

University Requirements

On top of EJU, some universities might require a separate entrance examination. They might also require references from professors/teachers and of course, your transcript of records.  If you are applying to a university that requires English language skills and you are not a native English-speaker, then you may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

Looking for a Place to Stay

While there are dormitories inside the university, not everyone can take advantage of it. Most of the university students look for furnished apartments or shared houses as a temporary residence in Japan. Normally, tenants in Japan need to meet a real estate agent in order to process requirements and to sign the contract but with KaguAruoo, you don’t need to do all of that. You can personally search for your desired apartment on the web and communicate with the landlord directly. Your whole transaction will be convenient and paperless. You will only need to create an account and submit an ID for verification (passport for foreigners). Once you are verified, then you already start using the service. You can choose from different listings and inquire to the landlord directly. Once you and the landlord have come to an agreement, the landlord will send you a contract and you can just sign it online.

Getting a Residence Card

All foreigners who are staying in Japan for more than 3 months are required to have a landing permission certificate affixed to their passport, and they will be issued a residence card. Once they receive their residence card within 2 weeks, they need to go to the local municipal office where they reside and carry out residency registration procedures. Their address will be inscribed on the back of their residence card.

Did you know?

University of Tokyo ranked 23rd and Kyoto University ranked 35th in the QS World University Rankings® 2019.